Using the Attendance Tool (Roll Call)
Canvas includes two built-in Attendance tools, one of which can be used to easily record and track classroom attendance.
NOTE: The Attendance tool is not active by default, and must be enabled by the instructor.
Enable the Attendance tool
- Go to Settings > Navigation, find Attendance in the list of menu items
- Click the gear icon, then click Enable (or drag up into active menu items)
- Click Save to save changes
Configure the Attendance tool
The first time the instructor accesses the Attendance tool, you will be asked to “Authorize” it.
A new 100-point Assignment (Roll Call Assignment) is created. This assignment MUST be edited:
- Go to Assignments
- Click the assignment Roll Call Attendance
- Click Edit Assignment Settings
(DO NOT edit the Assignment name or point value!)
- Select the option Do not count this assignment towards the final grade
- Click Save
NOTE: Students can view their current rate of attendance on the Grades page. To HIDE attendance from students, Unpublish the Roll Call Attendance assignment.
Use the Attendance tool
- Click Attendance in the Course Menu
- Indicate student attendance as needed.
Things to know:
- The Attendance tool is not visible in the Course Menu to students.
- If attendance is recorded in Canvas, there is no need to export or submit attendance records at the end of the term.
Faculty may not grade on attendance, only participation.