Using the Attendance Tool (Roll Call)
Canvas includes two built-in Attendance tools, one of which can be used to easily record and track classroom attendance.
NOTE: The Attendance tool is not active by default, and must be enabled by the instructor.
Enable the Attendance tool
- Go to Settings > Navigation, find Attendance in the list of menu items
- Click the gear icon, then click Enable (or drag up into active menu items)
- Click Save to save changes
Configure the Attendance tool
The first time the instructor accesses the Attendance tool, you will be asked to “Authorize” it.
A new 100-point Assignment (Roll Call Assignment) is created. This assignment MUST be edited:
- Go to Assignments
- Click the assignment Roll Call Attendance
- Click Edit Assignment Settings
(DO NOT edit the Assignment name or point value!)
- Select the option Do not count this assignment towards the final grade
- Click Save
NOTE: Students can view their current rate of attendance on the Grades page. To HIDE attendance from students, Unpublish the Roll Call Attendance assignment.
Use the Attendance tool
- Click Attendance in the Course Menu
- Indicate student attendance as needed.
Things to know:
- The Attendance tool is not visible in the Course Menu to students.
- If attendance is recorded in Canvas, there is no need to export or submit attendance records at the end of the term.
Faculty may not grade on attendance, only participation.
See the Canvas Guides: