Receiving A Badge In Canvas
What Is A Badge?
Badges are “micro-credentials” that provide a digital award as proof of an accomplishment or completion of specific content or tasks.
Digital badges are clickable icons and can contain information about the issuing institution or entity, the date earned, the criteria required to earn the badge, and evidence of meeting the required criteria.
Badges can be shared on social media sites, added as a link in an email, embedded in an e-portfolio, and elsewhere.
In Canvas, a badge is awarded for successfully meeting the requirements to complete a specific module or a course.
- Badges are currently only used for professional development for staff and faculty.
- Badges for student coursework are not currently available. Please contact the Butte College Academic Senate for more information.
Claim a Badge
Congratulations! Badges in Canvas are awarded for completing a module requirement in a course.
You can claim any awarded badges within the Canvas course where it was earned. If you are no longer able to access the course you can still claim the badge from Badgr (see “Claim a Badge in Badgr” below).
Claim a Badge in Canvas
- Go to the Canvas course where the badge was earned.
- Click on Badges in the course navigation.
- If you have not met all criteria for the badge, the badge will appear grayed out on the page.
- If you have met all criteria to earn the badge, the badge will have a clickable green check.
- Hover over the badge and click View Details.
- Review the badge information.
- Download or share your badge.
- Click Download below the badge icon to download the badge image to your own device.
- Choose to Share on any of the social media platforms using the links provided.
Claim a Badge in Badgr
Create a Badgr account to access all of your badges. If the Canvas course associated with the badge is no longer available, you can still access any past badges from the Badgr web site.
- Create a Badgr account at badgr.com
Important: Use your District email address! ( *****@butte.edu)
- Log into your new Badgr account.
- Access your “Backpack.”
Share a Badge
Click the Share link from a badge in your Backpack.
Share your badge with a colleague or employer.
You can show someone that you have earned a particular badge by sharing it with them from within Badgr.
Share your badge on social media.
A link to a badge can be shared on various social media platforms directly from Badgr.