End-of-Term Grades And Canvas
Faculty using the Canvas gradebook to record student grades DO NOT need to export and submit grade justifications, as long as it contains ALL grades for the course.
Please send a brief email to your department secretary to inform them you have used Canvas to manage grades.
Final grades must still be reported in Self-Service.
End-of-Term Gradebook Checklist
- Are all assignments in the Gradebook?
Columns for grade entry are created by creating assignments in the Assignments tool.
If you are recording grades in Canvas, ALL grades must be included in the Gradebook, including in-class activities.
– How do I create an assignment?
– How do I create assignment columns in the Gradebook?
- Do all assignments have Due Dates?
Due dates are entered using the settings (Edit) for assignments, discussions and quizzes.
– What is the difference between assignment Due dates and Availability dates?
- Do missing submissions have a grade?
Students are not graded for assignments unless a score is entered! Be sure to set up the Gradebook to automatically enter zeros for missing work.
– Automatically Grade Missing Assignments
- Is participation documented?
Faculty may elect to utilize the Attendance tool during the semester or upload a completed spreadsheet to the Files area of a course.
– Using the Attendance Tool
– How do I upload a file to a course?
- Are excused submissions indicated?
You may mark an assignment as “exempt” for a student, if circumstances require it. The points will not be calculated into their final score.
– How do I change the status of a submission in the Gradebook?
- Is a final letter grade present?
This is enabled by default, but faculty should confirm that the letter grade is present and accurate. The default grading scheme (70-80%, 80-90%, etc.) can be adjusted, if needed.
– Include A Final Letter Grade In The Gradebook
- Did you include the SLOs?
Associated outcomes should be indicated in individual assignment, quiz, or discussion titles.
– Add SLOs To Your Course
- Is the last date of attendance entered for FWs?
Determine the last date of attendance before the student ceased attending and participating in the course. Grades for dropped students are also available.
– How do I record the last day a user attended a course?
– How do I view grades for inactive or concluded student enrollments in the Gradebook?
QUESTIONS? Please contact the Office of Instruction about grade justification requirements.