External Apps (LTIs) for Canvas
External applications, also referred to as LTIs (Learning Tools Interoperability), are “apps” that can be added to Canvas to expand its capabilities. However, LTI software must be reviewed for compatibility, accessibility, security, and other requirements.
There are hundreds of LTIs available for Canvas. Many are free, while others require a paid license. Visit the EduApp Center for an extensive (though not complete) list of LTIs that can be used with Canvas:
Instructors are asked to follow the procedure below in order to safely integrate external services into Canvas courses.
Requests should be made well in advance of the time you expect to start using the LTI in Canvas. The length of time required to review an app may vary considerably, depending on its complexity.
Any external app integrated into Canvas must meet the following requirements:
- Application vendor must not permit direct sales to students via Canvas or any other means. This is distracting to students and a possible invasion of privacy.
- Application vendor must be a viable company that will provide ongoing technical support.
- The application must meet accessibility (508) standards. It is the instructor’s responsibility to be aware of the CCC Accessibility Standard. This is a legal requirement mandated by the CCC Chancellor’s Office.
- Application vendor must be able to secure any student data their app “touches,” restricting their use of student data to what is minimally required for the app to operate correctly (sometimes referred to as the principle of least privilege).
- Application vendor does not sell student data. Student data is confidential and protected by law.
- If there is a cost attached to acquiring or subscribing to the application, the requester must identify an ongoing funding source.
- DISTRICT APPROVAL
Requests for Canvas LTI integrations must ALSO be submitted through the standard district IT Software Approval Request.
- TMI REVIEW
TMI staff will review the LTI for features and installation procedures.
If all the above conditions are met, TMI will contact the requestor, proceed with implementation and update Canvas accordingly.
Complete the request form below. The average turn-around time for request fulfillment is 2-4 weeks. If you have any questions please contact TMI.