TechConnect Zoom: Meet & Collaborate
Bridge the Engagement Gap!
Based on the popular Zoom platform, and branded as TechConnect Zoom” for the entire California Community Colleges (CCC) system, Zoom is available for free to all CCC employees by the CCC TechConnect grant.
Most computers and mobile devices can utilize Zoom.
Check minimum requirements.
Faculty are strongly encouraged to consider the unintended consequences of attempting to utilize Zoom in a synchronous (real-time) fashion to replace entire lectures or class-time.
Zoom is best used to make optional opportunities available for students to meet as a group or review with an instructor.
Do not assume that all users have the needed technology or internet bandwidth for using Zoom equally, etc.
For guidance on creating pre-recorded video content for use in Canvas, please Request an Appointment with TMI staff. There are several options, such as using Snagit or Camtasia with 3C Media to easily embed video within Canvas.
The ConferZoom feature within Canvas is a scheduling tool for Zoom. It’s primary functions are:
Get Started With TechConnect Zoom
- Register for a TechConnect Zoom account
DO NOT obtain a “free account” at the official Zoom site at zoom.us or use a personal Zoom account.
- Log In to TechConnect Zoom, update your account password, set up your profile and review account settings.
- Download Zoom and log in (power users should try the Outlook plugin!).
- Join a Test Meeting Take a moment to test your Zoom setup.
- Ensure that you understand the importance of security in Zoom for privacy concerns. Use of the Waiting Room feature is recommended.
- Watch the below overview video from TechConnect (highly recommended).
- Many campus departments use Zoom daily for group and individual meetings.
- Optional features like screen-sharing and chat, make Zoom an essential tool.
- New users should review the TechConnect Zoom Guide.
- Questions? Please contact CCC TechConnect Support for assistance.
Ensure Accurate Captioning
Captioning is an important part of using video in Canvas, and is required by law. Zoom recordings automatically have a speech-to-text transcript generated, with varying degrees of accuracy based on the content. Faculty are encouraged to edit the transcript for accuracy.
Using TechConnect Zoom with Canvas
After you have done the above steps, you’re ready to enable TechConnect Zoom within any Canvas course, and use with students. Please note that the “ConferZoom” tool is essentially a scheduling tool for TechConnect Zoom within Canvas.
- Access Settings in the Course Menu in any of your Canvas courses, and then choose Navigation. Locate ConferZoom and enable it. Scroll down and click Save. Read more…
- Access the ConferZoom link in your Course Menu. Your name will appear in the top right corner. This is a one-time process.
- Schedule a group meeting or study/review session, or even a recurring series. Review the ConferZoom & Canvas Guides.
- Facilitate office hours with students, using the new Appointment Booking feature.
- Learn more about options for Inviting Students to a Meeting
Using ConferZoom with Other Platforms
- Mobile apps (iOS & Android)
- Outlook plug-in (easy Zoom meeting scheduling)
- Browser extensions (Chrome and Firefox)
Students: Invitees & Participants
Individual students do not need to create a Zoom account per the above steps. If a student joins a TechConnect Zoom meeting from within their instructor’s course in Canvas, they will be prompted to download the Zoom software, and then join the meeting.
If they receive an invitation from an instructor using Zoom outside of Canvas, they will again only be prompted to download the Zoom software and then be able to join a meeting. This is a one time step.
Zoom Support Resources
- ConferZoom Support
- ConferZoom & Canvas Guides
- Canvas Student Guide for ConferZoom
- Join a Test Meeting
- Computer Requirements
- Zoom Status
- Editing a Cloud Meeting Transcript
- Live Training: Getting Started with Zoom
- Keeping Zoom Updated
- Customizing Video Playback