Canvas Studio (Captioned Video)
What Is Studio?
Canvas Studio is a video creation and engagement tool that allows instructors and students to actively create and collaborate through video and audio media.
Studio is built into Canvas. It is available in several course tools, and can be used for a variety of purposes, including a simple presentation, interactive assessment, collaborative discussion, and more. Video can be recorded from a webcam or a screen capture (or both!), or uploaded from an existing file.
- Faculty and students can easily record webcam and screencast video within Canvas, or upload media files.
- Faculty can create and manage a library of videos for use in Canvas.
- Instructors can add Studio media to Assignments, Discussions, and Pages.
- Faculty can add quiz questions within videos; students respond while viewing; results go to the Gradebook.
- Faculty can create discussion activities based on video content (prompts and posts relate to specific points in the video)
- Instructors can access analytics with individual usage statistics for each student.
- Videos can be automatically captioned and the captions can be easily edited.
Ensure Accurate Captioning
Captioning is an important part of using video in Canvas, and is required by law. After uploading video to Studio, you can request to have speech-to-text captioning generated. Accuracy varies, depending on the content.
Faculty are encouraged to edit the caption file for accuracy.
- How do I use the Canvas Studio Caption Request Tool to add captions to a media file?
- How do I add captions to media in Canvas Studio?
Learn About Studio
Studio includes many features and options, and can be utilized in a course in a wide range of situations. Take time to learn the basics of what Studio is, how it works, and what you can do with it.
See the Canvas Guides:
Overview and basics
How do I access Canvas Studio?
Creating and managing video content
How do I record a video with a webcam in Canvas Studio?
How do I record a screen capture video in Canvas Studio?
How do I upload media in Canvas Studio?
How do I use the Canvas Studio media editor?
How do I delete media in Canvas Studio?
How do I create a collection in Canvas Studio?
How do I add captions to media in Canvas Studio?
Using Studio content in a course
How do I post a gradable Canvas Studio video quiz?
How do I use Canvas Studio through the Rich Content Editor?
How do I embed Canvas Studio media in a course?
How do I add a Canvas Studio media assignment in a course as an instructor?
More Studio Resources
Complete Studio Guide Table of Contents