External Apps (LTIs) for Canvas
External applications, also referred to as LTIs (Learning Tools Interoperability), are “apps” that can be added to Canvas to expand its capabilities. However, LTI software must be reviewed for compatibility, accessibility, security, and other requirements.
Available Software and LTI’s
TMI maintains a list of currently available software and LTIs associated with Canvas. This list is updated periodically based on funding availability, contracts, IT/Legal approval, and other factors.
Request Software and LTI’s
Instructors are asked to follow the procedure below in order to safely integrate external services into Canvas courses.
Requests should be made well in advance of the time you expect to start using the LTI in Canvas. The length of time required to review an app may vary considerably, depending on its complexity.
Any external app integrated into Canvas must meet the following requirements:
- Application vendor must not permit direct sales to students via Canvas or any other means. This is distracting to students and a possible invasion of privacy.
- Application vendor must be a viable company that will provide ongoing technical support.
- The application must meet accessibility (508) standards. It is the instructor’s responsibility to be aware of the CCC Accessibility Standard. This is a legal requirement mandated by the CCC Chancellor’s Office.
- Application vendor does not sell student data. Student data is confidential and protected by law.
- Application vendor must be able to secure any student data their app “touches,” restricting their use of student data to what is minimally required for the app to operate correctly (sometimes referred to as the principle of least privilege).
- If there is a cost attached to acquiring or subscribing to the application, the requester must identify a funding source.
STEP 1: DISTRICT APPROVAL
*Requests for Canvas LTI integrations should FIRST be approved through the standard district Software Approval Request process.
STEP 2: TMI REVIEW
Following IT/Legal approval, please contact TMI to request a review of the LTI for features and installation procedures. We will contact the requestor, and proceed with implementation in Canvas accordingly.
To request a Canvas integration, please complete the form below. The average turn-around time for request fulfillment is 2-4 weeks.
If you have any questions please contact TMI.