Want to play around in Canvas?
Faculty can create their own development courses in Canvas. These are sometimes referred to as “sandbox” courses, since they are a place to explore, experiment and build new things.
Some things to know about sandbox courses:
- Sandbox courses will never have students in them. They are for development only.
- Any and all content created in a sandbox course may be copied into an official course.
- Any sandbox course you create, you may also delete (see below).
See the following Canvas Guides for complete instructions:
How do I create a new course shell? (“sandbox”)
What would I do with a sandbox course?
Here are some possible uses for a sandbox course:
- Prepare content for a brand new course that you have never taught before.
- Make a copy of a current course so you can begin making changes for the next semester.
- Import content from a textbook publisher for evaluation.
- Import and review content from a colleague before bringing it into your own course.
- Experiment with some Canvas tools (Quizzes, Discussions, etc.) without cluttering an existing course.
- And more…!
The option to Create A New Course is found on the Dashboard.
So go make a sandbox, and play in Canvas!
NOTE: New sandbox courses do not automatically appear on your Dashboard or in the Courses list.