Bridge the Engagement Gap!
Based on the popular Zoom platform, and branded as “TechConnect Zoom” for the entire California Community Colleges (CCC) system, Zoom is available for free to all CCC employees by the CCC TechConnect grant. Most computers and mobile devices can utilize Zoom. Check minimum requirements.
IMPORTANT: Faculty are strongly encouraged to consider the unintended consequences of attempting to utilize Zoom in a synchronous fashion to replace entire lectures or class-time. Zoom is best used to make optional opportunities available for students to meet as a group or review with an instructor. Please do not assume that all users have the needed technology or internet bandwidth to support using Zoom.
For guidance on creating pre-recorded video content for use in Canvas, please Request an Appointment with TMI staff. There are several options, such as using Snagit or Camtasia with 3C Media to easily embed video within Canvas.
The ConferZoom feature within Canvas is a scheduling tool for Zoom. It’s primary functions are:
- All BC employees should have already had their account created, but if you’re having any trouble, you can easily register for an account. Do not obtain a “free account” at zoom.us.
- Access the CCC ConferZoom Portal, set your password, set up your profile and review settings.
- Download the desktop client for Zoom, and login. (We recommend the Outlook plugin).
- Take a moment to test your Zoom setup – Join a Test Meeting
- Ensure that you understand the importance of security in Zoom for privacy concerns.
- Watch the below overview video from TechConnect (highly recommended).
- Many campus departments use ConferZoom daily for group and individual meetings.
- Optional features like screen-sharing and chat, make ConferZoom an essential tool.
- New users should review the ConferZoom Guide.
- Questions? Please contact CCC TechConnect Support for assistance.
- Join a Test Meeting
- ConferZoom & Canvas Guides
- Live Training: Getting Started with Zoom
- Keeping Zoom Updated
- ConferZoom Support
- Zoom Status
- Computer Requirements
Instructors: Using ConferZoom within Canvas
After you have done the above steps, you’re ready to enable ConferZoom within any Canvas course, and use with students. Please note that ConferZoom is essentially just a scheduling tool for Zoom, within Canvas.
- Access Settings in the Course Menu in any of your Canvas courses, and then choose Navigation. Locate ConferZoom and enable it. Scroll down and click Save. Read more…
- Access the ConferZoom link in your Course Menu. Your name will appear in the top right corner. This is a one-time process.
- Schedule a group meeting or study/review session, or even a recurring series. Review the ConferZoom & Canvas Guides.
- Facilitate office hours with students, using the new Appointment Booking feature.
- Learn more about options for Inviting Students to a Meeting
Using ConferZoom with Other Platforms
- Mobile apps (iOS & Android)
- Outlook plug-in (easy Zoom meeting scheduling)
- Browser extensions (Chrome and Firefox)
Students: Invitees & Participants
Individual students do not need to create a ConferZoom account per the above steps. If a student joins a ConferZoom meeting from within their instructor’s course in Canvas, they will be prompted to download the Zoom software, and then join the meeting.
If they receive an invitation from an instructor using Zoom outside of Canvas, they will again only be prompted to download the Zoom software and then be able to join a meeting. This is a one time step.