3C Media Solutions offers full-featured video hosting services free to all faculty and staff of the California Community Colleges System. TMI strongly recommends 3C Media as opposed to YouTube for video management and captioning.
With an account you can:
- upload and manage media, create custom playlists
- share media privately or publicly
- add video to Canvas (see below)
- request captioning for your media in a few short, simple steps
- and much more!
To use videos from 3C Media in Canvas, you will need to:
1. Create An Account
Faculty first need to create a free 3C Media account.
You MUST use your Butte College @butte.edu email address when registering.
You will receive email confirmation, and a link to create an account password.
2. Upload Videos
Go to 3C Media and log in to your account
Click My Account
Request upload access (one time only)
The first time you access your Media library, you will be prompted to request upload access.
Click Add / Upload Media
Select “Upload a video” from the options:
- More detail on the upload process: How-To Upload Media to to Your TechConnect Cloud (3C Media) Account
- Upload a video to 3C Media Solutions allows you to upload your own video files, manage them, and embed them into Canvas.
- A video already on YouTube allows you to link a YouTube video to be managed from within 3C Media, but cannot be captioned.
3. Request Captioning
Captioning is a vital part of using video in Canvas, and is required by law. Video hosted on 3C Media can easily be captioned by request. After uploading a video, be sure to request that it be captioned.
In the My Media library, click the title of the video.
Scroll down and click Submit this Media for Captioning
Complete the captioning request form, as required.
It may take several days for the captioning to be complete. However, the video is ready to be used in Canvas immediately.
4. Embed Videos In Canvas
Once you have a 3C Media account, your content can be accessed from the content editor anywhere within Canvas.
Use the 3C Media toolbar icon from the content editor to embed media
Navigate your 3C Media Library and find the video to embed.
Click the Insert button to the right of the video title.
The video will be placed in the content editor in the cursor location.
Check out the 3C Media Quick Guides
Refer to the Guide To Using 3C Media In Canvas for detailed instructions on additional features.